Marriage Licenses and Certificates
Marriage Licenses are NOT issued on Wednesdays due to Traffic Court.
The Probate Judge does NOT perform Marriage Ceremonies.
NOTE: Applications are accepted:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- 18 years or older (if under 18 see Minors below)
- Must present valid ID (valid driver's license, state issued ID, passport, certified copy of Birth Certificate…)
- If previously married you must present a certified copy of your Final Divorce Decree or a certified copy of the Death Certificate.
(NOTE: Applicants are required to be divorced at least 30 days prior to applying for a marriage license),
- Out of State Applications: Same rules apply above; however, if you reside outside of Georgia then your marriage license will only be valid in Whitfield County.
- Minors (17 years old): Requires documentary proof that applicant was emancipated by operation of law or pursuant to a petition filed with Juvenile Court. Must provide certified copy of court order; and at least fifteen (15) days shall have passed since such emancipation. Premarital education is required. The older party SHALL NOT be more than four (4) years older than the younger party.
NO ONE UNDER 17 CAN BE ISSUED MARRIAGE LICENSE.
Written Requests Mailed to:
Whitfield County Probate Court
205 N Selvidge Street Suite G
Dalton, GA 30720
Fax (706) 281-1735